Quick Links & Popular Tools


Since 1863, Huron University College has challenged students to be Leaders with Heart. As the founding college of Western University, Huron has remained strategically small to best serve the needs of its students. Our affiliation with Western’s main campus means students can access a broad range of clubs and activities, while benefiting from Huron’s strong professor-to-student ratio. ​

The personalized learning experiences we deliver ensure students' individual gifts are nurtured. More than ever, Huron is focused on fostering students' character as much as their academic achievement. By prioritizing community engagement, research and scholarship opportunities, Huron prepares students to be engaged citizens who transform the sectors they work within.

Each year Huron welcomes students from all over the world.  If you would like to be considered for a exchange, your home institution must nominate you to become an exchange student at Huron. Please check your school’s website or student services area for information on how to get the process of visiting Huron underway.

  • Nomination Deadlines

  • • For entry into the 1st semester (September): Nominations received by April 1 of the year of study
    • For entry into the 2nd semester (January): Nominations received by October 1 of the year preceding study

    Late nominations may be possible, ask the exchange coordinator at your home institution to contact us to see if an exchange placement is still possible.

    The application package for September is due May 1st; the application package for January is due November 1st. Please email huronexchange@uwo.ca if you are not able to submit all of your documentation by these dates.
  • Application Process

  • Before you can start the application process at Huron, your school must send us an e-mail nominating you. After you have been nominated, you need to complete Huron’s application package.

    Application package deadlines:

    September intake is due May 1
    January intake is due November 1

    Please email huronexchange@uwo.ca if you are not able to submit all of your documentation by these dates.

    Huron Exchange Application Package:

    1. Admission Form
    2. Accommodation Form
    3. Course Request Form
    4. Emergency Contact Form 

    • Official academic credentials and transcripts (showing courses and grades) from all universities attended. If the credentials and transcripts are not in English, we require official certified translations and accept these if accompanied by the document in the original language
    • One letter of recommendation (for example: from your teacher, professor, guidance counsellor, school director or anyone familiar with your academic work) 
    • Two (2) passport sized photos

    Please email huronexchange@uwo.ca your application.
  • International and Exchange Student Welcome Week 2018

  • International and Exchange Student Welcome Week

    Huron provides international students with the opportunity to move into residence one week prior to the arrival of all first year students. During this week, we have planned activities to help you adjust to life in London, Ontario and the academic environment of a Canadian university. This time is also used to get some of the day-to-day tasks out of the way (health insurance, shopping for the things you need, learning the bus routes, etc.). 

     August 28th - September 2nd 2018
    Cost: $350 - includes transportation from Toronto International Airport on August 28, all meals, activities, and room fees for 6 days

    Click here to register for International Welcome Week

    If you have questions about International Welcome Week, please email valeeta.bennett@huron.uwo.ca

    International Welcome Week Events:

    • Airport pickup on August 28, 2018
    • Setting up bank accounts and health insurance
    • Trip to the beach
    • Team building events
    • Picnic & tour of London with the International Sophs 
    • Tours of the Huron campus, including the library, UWO, and the residences 
    • Talk with the Academic Advisors about course selections 
    • Shopping with International Student Leaders

    You can read about Western's orientation here - http://www.oweek.ca/ or learn more through Huron’s Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/huronatwestern 

  • Scholarships

  • Please click on the following link to research scholarship opportunities which may assist you in your plans to study at Huron.

    Scholarships for Non-Canadians:

    The Government of Canada offers many scholarship opportunities for international students studying in Canada.  Information on scholarships can be found on their website

  • Choosing Courses

  • Once you have received confirmation that you have been accepted to Huron as an exchange student, you can begin the process of selecting your courses. The process to follow is this:
    1. Review the course schedule for the coming year on the department web pages. Click on the department on the left menu, then scroll down to look for course offerings.
    2. Check the times and locations of courses offered, by clicking here. In the subject, select the subject you are studying from the drop down list, then add the course number, and click on Search Timetable. Make sure the course has HC or HUC in the Building and Location field or it is not a Huron course
    3. Submit your Course Request Form  to huronexchange@uwo.ca
    4. An academic advisor will assess your selection and attach you to the class. If there are issues with your course selection, we will contact you via email for clarifications or alternate course choices.
    5. Just before you arrive, we will send you a user name and password so you can access Student Central and see your timetable online.


    Courses at Huron – what you need to know A full course load is considered to be five courses. You can take four courses and still be considered a full time student. The majority of Huron courses are offered for a full year (September to April). A full year course is 1.0 credits and a half year course is 0.5 credits.

    The letters after the course code give you information about when the course is offered and its content. No letter after the course indicates that it is a full year non-essay course.

    A =  0.5 course offered in the first term 
    B =  0.5 course offered in the second term 
    E = 1.0 essay course (offered full-year) 
    F =  0.5 essay course offered in the first term 
    G =  0.5 essay course offered in the se
    cond term 

    Huron University College is an affiliate of Western University. The course catalogue contains courses from Western and the two other affiliated schools (King’s and Brescia). Exchange students must take all of their courses at Huron. Make sure the courses you select have the code HUC after their name.

    Course submission schedule

    • For entry into the 1st semester (September): June 
    • For entry into the 2nd semester (January): October

  • Immigration Updates

  • The information provided below is from the International and Exchange Student Centre at Western University and is current as of November 10, 2016. For the most up-to-date information, visit Western International or Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.


    • Temporary Residents (Visitors, Tourists, Students, Workers) travelling to Canada
    • Mexican nationals to become visa-exempt for Canada
    • Canadian citizens holding dual nationality/citizenship travelling to Canada
    • Chinese nationals holding B-visas for the USA travelling to the USA

    Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for temporary residents (Visitors, Students, Workers)

    New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

    Go to the Government of Canada's official website to apply for an eTA. It only costs $7 CAD. Most eTA applications are approved within minutes of applying.

    Note: The leniency period that allows travellers to board their flight without an eTA ends November 9, 2016. 

    For further information on this program please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/eta/index.asp#a8

    Visa-Exemption for Mexican nationals

    If you are citizen of Mexico, as of December 1, 2016, you will no longer require a temporary resident visa (TRV) to travel to and enter Canada. Instead, you will require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). See above for further details.  If you wish to study or work in Canada, you will still need to qualify and apply for a proper permit.

    For further information on this program please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1290&top=16

    Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport

    If you are a dual Canadian citizen used to travelling to or transiting through Canada by air with a non-Canadian passport, you will no longer be able to do so as of November 10, 2016. You will need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight.

    If your country needs you to enter and exit that country using a passport issued by its government, you will still need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada. Make sure to carry both passports when you travel. 

    Exception: If you are an American-Canadian dual citizen with a valid U.S. passport, you don’t need a Canadian passport to fly to Canada. However, you will still need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

    For further information on this program please visit


    Chinese B Visa Holders and EVUS

    Beginning November 29, 2016, all travellers holding a People’s Republic of China passport with a 10-year U.S. B1/B2, B1, or B2 visa must enroll in the Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) program. For more information on this program, please visit www.cbp.gov/EVUS.

  • Frequently Asked Questions


  • Below, is a list of commonly asked questions. 

    What do I do about health insurance?

    International students must apply for and pay for UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) when they arrive at Huron University College. This is the mandatory insurance plan that Ontario universities have put together for international students and their dependents. This plan does not cover dental or eye exams, so please make sure you have had these exams before you arrive in Canada. For more information on UHIP, please click here.

    What should I pack?

    There are many things that are better to buy in Canada, but there are some things that you should bring with you to Canada. For a complete list in PDF format, please click here. In addition, if you plan on being in Canada during the winter, you will need to purchase winter clothing such as boots, warm jackets, mittens, scarves, and toques. These articles are affordable in Canada and so you may want to wait until you arrive to purchase them.

    Can I stay in residence for the Winter break?

    Residence closes for one to two weeks during the Winter break, usually between Dec 22 or 23 and January 2 – 4. You may make special arrangements to stay in on-campus accommodations, but there will be no food services available and additional fees may apply. Many of our international students take this time to travel within Canada. A trusted travel agency for students, located on Western’s campus in the University Community Centre is Travel Cuts, see www.travelcuts.com

    Should I get a credit card?

    While it is not necessary to have a credit card, there are occasions when such a card may come in handy; for example you may wish to purchase an airline ticket or rent a car for the weekend. It is up to you to decide whether this is necessary or not.

    Should I buy the books that the Professor lists on the course outline?

    Academic textbooks are expensive, but it is important to buy them if you wish to do well at university. You only need to buy those texts that are listed under the title "Required Texts", but not those listed under "Recommended Texts". While the recommended texts will probably be available at the Reserve Desk of the library, the required texts form the majority of your work and should be purchased. It is sometimes possible to get required books for a course at the Used Book Store, where they will be up to 50% less expensive than the new books. You should be careful, however, that the book is the correct edition for the class.

    What measures are taken to ensure safety on campus?

    Although Huron and Western are very safe campuses in general, there are a number of measures that have been taken to ensure the safety of our students. Our Residence Managers and Dons are always available for help if something happens to students who are staying in residence. Also, there is a telephone number (911) that students can call for Fire, Ambulance or Police. In addition, the Campus Police are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week in case of any threats to student safety. They are about two minutes away from Hellmuth and O'Neill Residences in cases of emergency. In addition, we have a Campus Foot Patrol group. When asked, they will accompany students from night classes or special events to their residences or even to nearby off-campus housing. There is a campus safety presentation during International Student Welcome Week that will provide more information.

    Can I take courses at the University of Western Ontario if the courses I want to take are not offered at Huron?

    Exchange students can only take courses offered at Huron University College.

    What type of food is offered at the Huron Dining Hall?

    More information about the Huron Dining Hall is available here.